Thoughts on the Sochi Olympics Opening Ceremony
by Meredith Winnett
If you follow me on Twitter, you probably saw my live tweeting of the opening ceremony. I’ll admit, I went overboard, but I got a bunch of compliments so I’m not sorry.
For those of you who don’t follow me, I’ll fill you in on my thoughts:
- Did we need opiates to understand the opening dream sequence? I honestly had no idea what was happening as they were going through the Russian alphabet. The NBC announcers kept saying that the Russian people knew what the images were, but that didn’t really help the rest of the world.
- Is this the Hunger Games? What were these escorts wearing?! I was hoping that at the end of the parade of countries all the escorts would fight to the death. The escort who won earned an extra gold medal for their country.
- Poor fashion choice, Bermuda … I was later informed that Bermuda was wearing Bermuda shorts. They still looked like jerks, but it was clever. I mean, you’re from a warm climate and now you’re in Russia where it’s pretty cold out. I’m sure your legs are actually freezing. Later the Cayman Islands wore shorts, which they had no excuse for. There is no such thing as Cayman Island shorts.
- I wanted the German jackets and the Lithuanian track suit.
- Since when is Hong Kong its own country? Why didn’t their 5 or so athletes just join the rest of China?
I just looked this up on Wikipedia quickly. Hong Kong is its own separate region with its own dollar and “quasi-president”. They were adopted as a Special Administrative Region of China in 1997, and that will last 50 years. Most “Hong Kongers” are of Chinese descent. You learn something new every day.
- Mean Girls reference: “If he’s from Zimbabwe, why is he white?”
- Translated into English, Kyrgyzstan means “Great Hats”.
- NBC was really pushing the fact that they had Apollo Ohno commentating for them. I swear Bob Costas said “and Apollo Ohno is still here with us” like 100 times.
- How many participating countries are from warm climates? There were TONS representing Caribbean countries. There’s no way they have winter sports in the Caribbean.
- Apparently, you can be born in America but represent another country in the Olympics. It’s good for the athlete because their chances of participating are better, but it kinda makes you a traitor.
- There was a quick shout out to the Boston Bruins as Chara carried the Slovakian flag in!
- America was the best dressed. It’s no argument. Did anyone catch the guy with the great mustache? I wish I knew his name…
- I didn’t really care about any other country after America, I just wanted the ballet. I did enjoy the t.A.T.u throwback though. By the way, they were fake lesbians. Whomp whomp.
- I really wish I could dance ballet as beautifully as the Russians did last night. If you’re a fan of amazing performances, and you missed the opening ceremony, go watch it. It gave me chills. I stopped tweeting to watch.
- Is this Cinderella?
- Then as I watched figure skating this morning I realized I am no where near talented enough in any sport to ever be an Olympian. Bye.